Week four: Wastwater visit!

Hi everyone, 

I am happy to announce that the first wastewater treatment facility visit will be tomorrow! My mentor told me that we would be collecting wastewater samples that will be used extensively for every part of the experimental process, so this step marks the beginning of our experiment!! 

I was told we would be utilizing a newly funded machine to conduct a chemical analysis of the retrieved wastewater, specifically the microplastics. The machine can detect the specific chemical composition of each microplastic, which will be vital for distinguishing each plastic in the water. This is a nice photo of the machine I took a while back :)



Comments

  1. Cassandra,

    This is so cool to read, when I was in South Carolina for my REU we visited a waste water facility, I was fascinated by what I saw and how much is actually floating around in our water! So crazy. Good luck with your first visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Cassandra,

    I have to say I love new lab equipment. I understand your excitement in finally being able to start your project. I'm curious to see what microplastics you find. I hope you get some interesting results for your project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts